From the Music Suite at St John’s College . . .
EXTRA-CURRICULAR MUSIC PROGRAMME
Tuition by our specialist instrumental teachers is available on a wide range of instruments at St. John’s. Any student in the College can learn an instrument at any time in any year.
- YEAR 9 – Tuition at y9 is provided in half-years. Tuition is free if your son is doing the Year 9 Option Music course, otherwise it is costs $250 for the full year or $125 per half-year. and can be renewed if places are available. Students receiving tuition in the first two terms are given first refusal to continue. Download and return this tuition form only if your son is NOT on an academic music course and wishes to learn an instrument Instrumental Tuition Contract – half year.pdf. Please return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- YEARS 10-13 IF YOUR SON IS DOING ACADEMIC MUSIC – Tuition is provided for the full year and is free; there is no form to fill in. Instrumental lessons are not compulsory if your son is studying the Years 11-13 Non-Performance Option Music Course. RENTAL of certain instruments, such as trumpets and saxophones, is $100p.a. Email email@example.com to check for availability.
- YEARS 10-13 IF YOUR SON IS NOT DOING ACADEMIC MUSIC – Tuition is provided for the full year and costs $250. Download and return this tuition form Instrumental Tuition Contract – full year.pdf. Please return to firstname.lastname@example.org. RENTAL of certain instruments, such as trumpets and saxophones is $100p.a. Email email@example.com to check for availability.
We are very proud to have the following talented and respected teachers in our team:
- Strings & String Ensemble – Mrs Hilary Baker
- Piano – Mrs Sandra Roberts
- Guitar and Bass – Mr Neil Matcheson
- Drums – Mr Joe Atkin
- Junior Woodwind and Brass, Training Band – Mrs Kathy Clark
- Senior Woodwind and Brass, Jazz-Rock-Pop Band – Mr Christopher Wilson
- Pipes – provided externally
The Jazz-Rock-Pop Band is a great introduction to Jazz, Swing and Funk styles and participates in band competitions and festivals both locally and nationally. It allows players of intermediate and advanced levels to specialise their development.
The Junior Band is the perfect place for beginner and intermediate players to discover the exciting world of music and the awesomeness of playing in a group.
‘Vox Box’ (Vocal Group)
This vocal group sings for Masses, at various gigs in the community and enters The Big Sing competition. Though they sing a broad range of music from up-tempo hits such as Pinball Wizard to cool classics as Hallelujah, Barbershop is a particularly favourite style.
Combined St. John’s and Sacred Heart Concert Band
The band performs in concerts and festivals, such as the Hawke’s Bay Festival of Bands, and to our feeder primary/intermediate schools. It is an exciting group that benefits from the breadth of instruments, the repertoire such a group lends itself and the strengths, experience and skills of the players. It plays a range of music from TV and film, rock and pop as well as atmospheric and dramatic.
This important group supports whole-school singing in Assembly and for Mass at Sacred Heart Church. They give a harmonic and driving accompaniment to the student and staff body for the St. John’s Anthem, National Anthem and sacred and secular inspirational songs. A senior pianist and/or guitarist supports regular assemblies and the full band for Mass accompanied by a throng of strong singers.